Sunday, September 18, 2016

home projects

It's so fun owning a home! We've been in our home for almost 4 years and we've been gradually working on projects along the way. There's still a lot we'd like to do in the future (our back patio is next on our list!), but we've had a lot of fun with some recent DIYs :)

Last summer (2015) we tackled our kitchen. Our kitchen was very dark with black granite and brown cabinets. While I would've loved to have changed both, we settled on painting the cabinets white. The project took way longer than we anticipated, but I'm very happy with how it's lightened up our kitchen. I still hope to change the backsplash someday, too ;)

Here's the before:


I'm embarrassed to admit how long our kitchen was in disarray like this!

Here's the after:



Onto the next project... Some of you may remember last year, when I helped my mom do a wood treatment on her HUGE living room wall. It turned out amazing!


So, as "payment" for helping her with this big project, my mom gave us the leftover wood that she had. Our wall was much smaller, so it took a lot less wood and work to get it done. We installed our wood wall in our study this spring. It's one of my favorite things we've done to this house so far! I love it!!





My big project of the summer was getting everything ready to teach preschool this fall. With that, it meant converting our playroom to a preschool room.  I was a little heartbroken when we had to say goodbye to our love sac and couch, but I knew we needed the space. And they're hanging out safely at my parents' house, so maybe we'll have them back someday :) After a few ikea trips, our preschool/playroom combo was ready! The preschool kids are all loving it!

Before:


After:



^this has been done since we moved in, but I don't know if I've ever posted a picture of our "book nook"







No comments: