Monday, October 17, 2011

punkins

Ever since I was a child, one of the most important Halloween traditions was carving pumpkins.  I remember going to the pumpkin patch, picking out the perfect size to carve the perfect pumpkin.  After taking it home, laying out newspaper in the garage, and picking out the best design for the year, then came the best part...gutting the pumpkin!  Don't you love that slimy feel in between your fingers?!  Then, it would be time to carve.  After abandoning those cheap, plastic, store-bought knife sets, I'd end up grabbing a huge kitchen knife to really do the job.  I'm surprised I still have all my fingers!  Oh, those were some fun times.

This year, Katie decided to try my commitment to that tradition by continually suggesting that we take a much different approach for decorations (and much thanks to pinterest for that).  No, it wasn't to make them bigger and brighter, nor was it to make them more frightening and terrifying.  She wanted to paint them.

What?!  No gutting?  No slime?  No carving?  I admit, I was hesitant for quite some time.  Anytime we were out running errands, she would always ask if we could go get pumpkins.  I wasn't sure if I could come to grips with painting pumpkins!  I finally came up with a clever response to combat her pleadings.  I told her, "Only one pumpkin is allowed in our house, and that's you!"  (Cheesy, I know.  But we are still newlyweds!)

I eventually caved.  But I must confess, it was a blast!  We had a lot of fun together.  And if you ask me, I think they turned out pretty darn cute!


I largely worked in the argyle one.  I'm pretty proud of it!  Last minute, we thought the pumpkins would look better if they were raised a bit.  Katie got the idea to use a box we just got and paint it.  I had recently thrown it away but I went dumpster diving for it and recovered it!  I think it definitely adds, especially with Katie's already cute wreath she made a couple months ago.


Happy Halloween everyone :)   BOO!


5 comments:

Barb Zinn said...

I am so impressed with those creative pumpkins! Your front door is ADORABLE! LOVE, Love, love the grouping. TOGETHER you two make a GREAT team! New traditions are wonderful but someday you will have to let Katie play in the slim within the pumpkin. Of course that was my least favorite part of the carving and when you were little I HAD TO SCOOP the "guts" out. Your way is a WIN WIN to a messy project!!

Katie said...

I actually LOVE the slime, too. Grant just made me seem like the bad guy :)

Barb Zinn said...

I would NEVER think you the BAD GUY!

Eve said...

"It adds"

Katie said...

I said the exact same thing Eve!!